1. So, new Pope.
|image c/o Catholic Memes|
2. I finished reading A Storm of Swords. WOW. Hey, so if you haven't read any of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, and you are at all inclined to read an epic fantasy - or even just a good character-driven tale - then start reading. Although, I feel obligated to warn that there is quite a bit of rather graphic sex and violence. The Lord of the Rings these books are not, so they are not for those with delicate sensibilities or sensitive consciences. Anyway, I think what is simultaneously most confusing and yet probably best about these books is that the characters are so complex and mixed with good and bad. Martin doesn't write obvious, flat characters. In fact, of all the characters in the book, I think the only character I am rooting for without reservation is Jon Snow. And maybe Bran (and his companions). All the other "good" characters have serious flaws and make serious mistakes. And while there are quite a few bad characters who are just plain evil, there are others who have a mixture of elements in them that make you kind of want to like them, until they do something so awful and you realize they really are just plain bad, until they do something good and then you wonder if they are really so bad, rinse repeat. Tyrion, Jamie, Sandor Clegane, and several of the wildlings all fall into this category for me. In fact, up to this point, Tyrion has certainly been my favorite character, but the way he left things at the end of this book made me very frustrated and disappointed in him. I am way too invested in this story, methinks.
3. Approximately 6 weeks until I have two children. I am freaking out.
4. Anyone else super irritated that Google is getting rid of Google Reader? I have been looking into alternative feed readers. Bleh. Feedly? BlogLovin'? NetVibes? I don't even know. Tell me what to do, internets.
5. Ummmm, drawing a blank for the next QT. Filler. Filler. Filler.
6. My husband just said these words to me: "did you hear Pope Francis only has one lung?" My response: "That's ridiculous!!" Apparently it is not ridiculous. So, among the many other firsts, he is probably our first mono-lunged Pope.
7. In honor of one of my favorite holidays of the year coming up this Sunday: I will be wearing green, I will be watching my favorite film Waking Ned Devine, I won't be drinking any Guinness or Harp or Smithwick's but I wish I were, I may or may not do a jig, and I will be praying the Breastplate of St. Patrick. Happy St. Paddy's Day to you and yours! xoxo