Monday, December 31, 2012
2012 Year in Review
*=Answers the same as last year.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Ran a 5K
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
These are last year's resolutions, and whether or not I completed them:
1) to run a 5K - YES!!
2) to run a 10K - nope
3) to lose 20 pounds - nope
OR 4) have another baby - nope, but I did get pregnant!!
I think my two goals for this coming year are to stick to a budget and to get to a healthy weight within a reasonable time after baby's arrival.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Several friends, and my niece Lauren and nephew Kevin had their third kiddo.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My brother-in-law Tom
5. What places did you visit?
*Not anywhere I couldn't drive to in under an hour.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A home of our own. Also a church home that we love.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
*This sounds like a copout answer, but I am not a very sentimental person and I am rubbish with dates. Nothing springs to mind.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finally getting a meal planning system and house keeping schedule together that works for me, for the most part. Also running that 5K.
9. What was your biggest failure?
*Lack of discipline in the areas of healthy eating, exercise and spending. (I did get the house cleaning part under control, at least to some extent!)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing serious, but I have been sick pretty much continuously this fall/winter.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Not sure...lately I have been so so grateful for my new maternity jeans...
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
The teachers at Sandy Hook Elementary. Lots of people in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. My mom who is always a tremendous help when it comes to parenting Josiah.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
God please no more mass shootings. Also, Congress.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Finding out we were having a baby girl. Seeing The Hobbit (which I did not feel lived up to the excitement, alas.)
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
I don't know, maybe something by the band Fun. or maybe one of Josiah's favorite songs, "Christmas Day" by Paul Simon.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? sadder
b) thinner or fatter? a lot fatter!!
c) richer or poorer? same?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
*Laughing, exercising, sleeping
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
*Eating junk food, wasting time, worrying
20. How did you spend Christmas?
*Several parties with family and friends
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
with my baby girl
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Sherlock and Parenthood
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
*Nope. I don't hate people.
24. What was the best book you read?
Game of Thrones. Also, The Age of Miracles.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Can't say I made a great one this year. I listen to a lot of classical, film soundtracks and ambient music more than anything these days.
26. What did you want and get?
A pregnancy and a Kindle (thanks mommy!)
27. What did you want and not get?
A home of our own! A pair of tweed TOMS. A million dollars. ;)
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Didn't see many new movies, I guess maybe Argo? Which isn't saying a whole lot.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Spent it with my immediate family, ate good food, opened early Christmas gifts, watched Elf and It's a Wonderful Life. Turned 31.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Unfortunately lots of things spring to mind, but money in the bank and a greater sense of direction would be at the top of the list (as has already been mentioned!)
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Comfortable and simple, with some attempts at being just the tiniest bit fashionable.
32. What kept you sane?
trips to the store just to get out of the house, reading a good book to escape for a while, prayer, relaxing music, keeping things in perspective, deep breaths
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
*I don't really dwell on such things, honestly.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The mandated coverage of contraception; the attack on the embassy in Benghazi, Libya; the state of the economy; and just the Presidential election in general
35. Who did you miss?
far away friends, the baby we lost
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Definitely my husband's cousin Ami who I ended up having lots in common with and quickly became a great friend! And then she moved to Montana. :(
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
HUMILITY. And do not compare your self or your life to others - it only leads to bad feelings and bad decisions. (Not saying I have these down pat, just that this year showed me how important they are.)
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Settle down, it'll all be clear.
Don't pay no mind to the demons, they fill you with fear.
Trouble it might get you down,
If you get lost you can always be found.
Just know you're not alone
Cause I'm gonna make this place your home.
("Home" - Phillip Phillips)
*** HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOURS!!! Please link in the comments if you do a 2012 YIR as well. xoxo
(See Previous Years 2011, 2010, 2009 & 2008)