*=Answers the same as last year.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Started a business!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
These are last year's resolutions, and whether or not I completed them:
1) stick to a budget - nope!
2) healthy weight after baby - meh, not really!
I'm not going to make any resolutions - I just generally have it in mind for 2014 to be the year of finding my stride and my balance between work and home/family.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
ME!!! I had a baby! Also, my best friend had her second baby, and some other friends and family also had babies. Yeah babies!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year.
5. What places did you visit?
My dad in Buffalo, NY
Our friends the Bishops in Carbondale, IL
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 16 - the date Naomi was born
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Starting a business that has so far been successful beyond what I expected.
9. What was your biggest failure?
*Lack of discipline in the areas of healthy eating, exercise and spending. (It's the same every year, when will I ever change?!!!)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing huge. Colds, tummy bugs, that sort of thing.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I don't know, my double stroller? Didn't spend a lot of money on myself this year.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband, for working his butt off to take care of us, and for generally being a great dad and friend.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Most everyone in our government.
14. Where did most of your money go?
food and student loan payments
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Having my baby girl!! Jamberry Nails!!
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
I don't know, how about "Royals" by Lorde? Because it is the only 2013 song I can think of right now. I don't really keep up with music much these days. #oldlady
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? thinner
c) richer or poorer? richer, but not by much!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
*Laughing, exercising, sleeping
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
*Eating junk food, wasting time, worrying
20. How did you spend Christmas?
*Several parties with family and friends
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
Besides with Naomi, Josiah, and my husband Jim? No. WAIT, YES. With the Eleventh Doctor. (see below)
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
*Nope. I don't hate people.
24. What was the best book you read?
A Dance with Dragons - George RR Martin. I haven't read much since Naomi was born, sadly.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
*Can't say I made a great one this year. I listen to a lot of classical, film soundtracks and ambient music more than anything these days.
26. What did you want and get?
A home of our own. We technically don't HAVE it yet, but it is under contract and YES, WE ARE MOVING!!!!!!!! In January! AHHHHHH!!!!! Also, I got those tweed TOMS that I said I wanted last year. Wore them today, in fact. But that's a little less of a big deal.
27. What did you want and not get?
A new (to me) car. Also a million dollars. Kidding! (not kidding.)
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Did I even go to the movies this year?? I watch way more TV shows than movies, so I can't even think of an answer for this.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Slept in!!! Spent the day with my immediate family, ate good food, opened early Christmas gifts, watched It's a Wonderful Life. Turned 32.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being a little bit more organized and put-together. I am way too stressed and scattered and have made way too many "oops, I forgot" mistakes. Also, I wish I could have kept up with this blog in the midst of everything else.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Frumpy-chic? I finally embraced the skinny jean, for better or worse. Cardigans are still my signature piece.
32. What kept you sane?
Enya, Diet Coke, getting out of the house
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
*I don't really dwell on such things, honestly.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
ACA, aka ObamaCare
35. Who did you miss?
My friend Abby, and everyone in my little circle of the blogging world.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
My friend and Jamberry sponsor, Adriane.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Do things right away if you can, or else write them down. You WILL forget. But if you can't do it right away, it can wait until tomorrow. Most emergencies are not really emergencies. Life will carry on.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
rent a tent, build a stage, throw a party, get a gown
buy a ticket, rent a car, pack a bag and leave town,
cook a dinner, clean the kitchen, hit the light,
brush your teeth, read a book, say a prayer good-night
everyone everywhere some way some how
are setting up the pins for knocking em down
it can feel simple but it's really profound...
"Setting up the Pins" by Sara Groves
Please link in the comments if you do a 2013 YIR as well. I'd love to read it!!! xoxo
(See Previous Years: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 & 2008)